The Accounting Manager is responsible for all areas relating to accounting and financial reporting for the Insurance Agency. The Accounting Manager supervises two agency accountants and is responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner, this includes but is not limited to commission calculations, accounts payable and receivables. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities. This position will be responsible for adhering to controls and accounting principles and developing practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements and maintain records in an audit ready condition.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Comply and certify compliance for closing, reconciliation, and internal control processes in areas of responsibilities.
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close.
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Maintains the daily banking requirements.
- Maintain accurate accounting and processing of producer commission checks
- Oversee accounts receivables and payables
- Ensure the monthly and quarterly Bank Compliance activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Supports budget and forecasting activities.
- Collaborates with Parent company CFO, corporate controller and others to support overall agency goals and objectives.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Responds to inquiries from the Parent CFO, Corporate Controller, and other finance and firm wide managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Work with the Parent Corporate Controller to ensure a clean and timely year end audit.
- Supervise the general ledger group to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Support Parent CFO with special projects and workflow process improvements.
BA/BS in Accounting or Business with emphasis in accounting required, CPA a plus.
Technical Skills and Prior Experience
Three to five years prior experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area. Experience working in an Insurance Agency is preferred.
Must be PC proficient and able to thrive in a fast -pace setting. Must have strong experience with Microsoft Excel, and Word. Insurance industry software knowledge preferred (TAM, EPIC).
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills required.
Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required.
Lykes Insurance offers an excellent compensation package. If you are interested in a challenging career working within a group of dedicated professionals, please send a cover letter and resume to Greg Fraley.